Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Chocolate Trends and Cravings

Being an avid chocolate lover, I am very sensitive to my cravings.   For the last ten years my cravings have been for Reese’s peanut butter cups.  There is just something about chocolate and peanut butter together that just reaches out to me on some weird level.  Sometimes I won’t be happy until I get that craving satisfied.   Before that, I had a craving for white chocolate with chocolate cookie pieces.  But my all time favorite go to chocolate is Hershey’s milk chocolate chips made in Canada

Now you may be wondering why my taste is so specific.  Well, the milk chocolate chipits that Hershey makes in Canada is so rich, creamy and sweet that I have never found anything like it.  I will confess I could sit and eat a whole bag at one time.  Hershey’s Canada has put their milk chocolate into bars but I find the bars too small for my cravings.  Yes, I have it real bad.  What I have never understood about Hershey’s though is this why are the Hershey’s kisses considered milk chocolate when then taste is far from the amazingness of the Hershey’s Canada milk chocolate chipits.  I really don’t like the standard Hershey’s bar. It’s far too bland for me.  The second thing I can’t understand is how the chocolate in Canada could be so much more different than in the US, with the same Hershey's name.  There are other instances of this that I have noticed and will report on them in the future.

Getting back to chocolate trends and cravings, I do have go to chocolate bars in case I am in a place that doesn’t have Reese’s peanut butter cups.  For the last 3 years, I have been living in such a place.  Can you imagine?   South Koreans have not discovered the magic of chocolate and peanut butter together.  They haven’t really appreciated the test of peanut butter either but that is about to change.  I just exposed 10 of the children I teach to peanut butter so maybe I have started a movement.
Here is a list of chocolate bars that I recommend.  Included in this list are chocolate bars from Korea and I will try to include pictures.
  1. Hershey’s reeses peanut butter cups
  2. Lindor peanut butter balls
  3. Cadbury Dream
  4. Cadbury Dairy Milk
  5. Cadbury Hazelnut
  6. Tim Tams (more of an Australian cookie but so full of chocolate it feels like a bar, consider it an Australian Twix bar with more chocolate and less caramel, unless you get the caramel ones.  Those, by the way, are to die for)
  7. Lotte Ghana Mild Cacao
  8. Nestle Coffee Crisp
  9. Canadian Kit Kat
  10.  Snickers
  11. Malted Milk
  12. Hershey’s kisses (in all flavors, especially the cherry cordial, the hugs, and the after eight ones)
  13. Nestle Aero (in mint and milk chocolate flavors, not a big fan of dark chocolate)
  14. Nestle Crunch
  15. Oh Henry!
  16. Sweet Marie
  17. Dove Chocolate (milk, dark, hazelnut, all shapes)
  18. Mirage
  19. Flake
  20. Glossette Pieces (I prefer the peanuts)
  21. Crispy Crunch


This list will be added to it as I remember or am reminded of other chocolates that I like.  Please comment and let me know what your favorite bars are.

No comments:

Post a Comment